USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller 2
Configurable Breath Controller with USB-MIDI class compliant interface, flexible headset, bite force sensitive mouthpiece and inclination sensor. Configuration Utility and documentation available for download on the Support page. See also the Frequently Asked Questions and Testimonials pages.
With sample libraries getting better and better and physical modeling advancing to incredible realism, the need for good controllers is obvious. The new USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller 2 (BBC2) provides quadruple hands-free continuous controllers: Breath, Bite and in addition Nod and Tilt sensors. These allow musicians to add nuanced expression and amazing realism to their performance, as James Newman cleverly demonstrated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5f6rH_J_uE.
Four completely independent MIDI streams generate data corresponding to the physical variables sensed by each of the sensors:
- The built-in piezoelectric transducer senses breath pressure
- The bite sensor senses the the force applied to the mouthpiece by teeth or lips
- The integrated accelerometer senses the inclination of the device along two axes (Nod for up/down and Tilt for lateral head movements). The neutral Nod and Tilt positions can also be calibrated as required, even not horizontally.
Our proven embedded signal processing algorithms guarantee full resolution over all sensor input ranges. MIDI messages are transmitted only when sensor data cause the MIDI output value to change. Thanks to the same state-of-art piezoelectric pressure sensor used in our earlier breath controller models, the latency is minimal and the response to breath pressure is fast and sensitive enough to even allow flutter tonguing.
The BBC2 is fully USB-MIDI class compliant and works out of the box with the built-in operating system USB-MIDI class drivers on both Windows and Mac computers, as well as any other class compliant host such as the Korg Kronos. The Configuration Utility works on Windows and Mac computers and allows easy and independent setting of parameters such as input/output range, sensitivity curve, attack/decay filter response as well as MIDI Channel, MIDI CC, Pitch bend or Aftertouch.
The integrated headset can be bent to a comfortable shape and worn around either the head or the neck, depending on individual preference.
The mouthpiece has an adjustable bleed valve similar in concept to that found on the famous - and now discontinued - Yamaha BC3 breath controller. The mouthpiece now comes with a food-grade plastic cover that, unlike the silicone cover of the older model, can withstand teeth pressure. In addition the new cover can easily be removed for cleaning. Please note that based on customer feedback we changed the color of the mouthpiece cover from white to black, to improve the cosmetic appearance. This does not change the functionality in any way.
- Sensitive to breath pressure, bite force and inclination along two orthogonal axes
- Insensitive to ambient pressure
- Software configurable (independently for each sensor) min/max sensor input and MIDI out ranges, sensitivity curve, attack/decay filter, MIDI channel and MIDI CC, Pitch bend or Aftertouch, neutral inclination calibration
- Save and load your presets
- Full resolution for all input ranges (MIDI 0-127)
- Firmware upgradable for future enhancements
- USB-MIDI class compliant, Plug&Play out of the box on Windows and Mac
- USB powered
- Configuration Utility available for Windows (XP and later) and Mac OS (10.5 and later)
We have tested the USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller with the following sample libraries
- Audiobro LASS
- East West
- Orchestration Tools
- Vienna Symphonic Library
- Wallander Instruments
We have tested the USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller with the following sample players
The USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller 2 has been tested by our user community with